- Kubernetes Manifests are the basic way of deploying things to kubernetes
- raw YAML files: no portability, no customisation, no code reuse
- Use Helm to package manifests into installable units
- powerful templating (Go Templates), rich context information and parameters (values.yaml)
- possible to publish Helm charts to registries (sharing)
- umbrella charts to group multiple charts under a parent one (sub-charts)
- Use helmfile to group and manage multiple helm charts as one
- you still have separate helm releases (vs umbrella chart)
- declarative YAML with many features (envs, templates)
- powerful CLI with tons of options
- Use Argo CD to add GitOps and automation to the mix
- automatically syncs the state defined in a git repo with one or more clusters
- supports raw manifests, kustomize, helm, jsonnet, … (+ helmfile through a plugin)
- and much more! multi-cluster support, ApplicationSets, etc.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Please, leave a on the github repo, it will help me stay motivated.